With the Collin County enhanced 9-1-1 CAD system, when a person calls 9-1-1 from their home or business phone the address automatically pulls up on the dispatcher’s
monitor. When calling 9-1-1 from a cell phone, there are few things to keep in mind before calling and while on the phone with the dispatcher.
1. Know what specific address or intersection the incident is located. The dispatchers take 9-1-1 calls from over half of the county and may not be familiar with your location.
2. Know what is going on before you call:
3. Remain calm when talking to the dispatcher. A panicked voice will only delay help.
4. Be concise with your statement. Do not state all events that lead up the emergency, just state the emergency.
5. Remain on the phone with the dispatcher until told otherwise.
6. Do not hesitate to call 9-1-1 again if the situation has drastically changed.