- Leave space for air to circulate around other heat-producing equipment, such as copy machines, coffee makers and computers. Keep appliances away from anything that might catch fire. Do not stack books or papers on top of computer monitors.
- Designate someone to turn off or unplug all appliances at the end of each workday at work.
Chimneys and Fireplaces
- Clean and maintain chimneys fireplaces and furnaces on a regular basis. Most fires in wood stoves, fireplaces and chimneys occur because of a lack of regular cleaning, leading to the buildup of creosote (the residue of unburned fuel).
- Keep sparks and embers inside the fireplace with fire screens made of heat-tempered glass or sturdy metal.
- Burn dry, well-seasoned hard wood because it’s the most efficient fuel.
- Open-faced heaters should have a proper screen and grate in place. Small children may be attracted to the flame.
- Keep all combustible materials and yourself at least three feet away from the heater. Even a slight brush against a heater could ignite your clothing.
- Provide adequate ventilation, opening a window slightly (one inch) to prevent carbon monoxide build up. Note: if your flame is not blue, it is not burning properly. It is producing carbon monoxide which can’t be seen, smelt or tasted. TURN IT OFF.
- Use flexible metal tubing with threaded ends to connect the heater to the gas valve. There should be a cut-off valve for the heater at the wall. Never use a rubber hose to connect a space heater to the gas valve.
- Use soapy water to check all connections and valves for leaks. Never use a match to test for a gas leak.
- Look for American Gas Association label and follow the manufacturers recommendations for proper usage.
- Vented gas/fired heating appliances (central heating units, floor furnaces, recessed wall heaters and vented space heaters) should be inspected annually by a qualified service technician.
- Do not store combustibles within three feet of heaters or their vents. Do not use units without a proper vent pipe. Vent pipes must exhaust outside.
National Fire Protection Association
- Never overload outlets or breakers.
- Don’t use extension cords on the heater.
- If the cord is hot to touch, turn off the heater and unplug it!
- Keep all combustible materials and yourself at least three feet away from the heater.
- Electric heaters permanently installed in the wall or ceiling should have lint and dust removed regularly. Lint and dust built up will burn.